Jan 1st of 2010, I posted my “Ten for 2010″ post. It was a pretty good year from a trout fishing standpoint, many many cutthroat brought to hand including my largest fluvial (not sea-run) fish to date, both Coastal and WestSlope. I also picked up my first Brook Trout, followed by my 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Alas, no Steelhead were brought to hand. I didn’t fish for them nearly as much as I would have liked, especially Summer-runs. Usually, just too damn lazy to get in the car and burn the gas but helping with the kid’s wrestling was also a big factor.
So here goes:
Fishing resolutions for 2010:
- Take the kids fly fishing more and coach their casting less Success on taking the kids out more, but I still did too much coaching, especially with Angus. Lesson learned.
- Get some return out of my 2009 investment in a cataraft Success but still not as much as hoped for
- Fish at least 52 days in 2010 FAIL – Good effort but no cigar, about 40 days total
- Fish in Oregon, Idaho, Montana & BC FAIL – on 25%, fished Idaho but no where else
- Camping trip to headwaters of the Elwah FAIL – just let life get in the way. Better get on it in 2011 before it closes for 5 years when they pull out the dam
- Keep an accurate fishing log (should be helpful for #3) FAIL, gotta fix that in 2011
- Take someone who has never fly fished before to a river and help them catch a trout Success!!! Took Holly out and she caught a small cutt but more importantly, seemed to have a lot of fun.
- Spend less money and time on gear and more on actually fishing than in 2009 EPIC FAILURE, more rods & reels added to the quiver including a couple ‘dream sticks’…
- Attend a spey casting lesson and break my bad self-taught habits FAIL, but I did watch a couple videos…
- Take my ’serious’ camera fishing and actually use it for a change Success, but not as much as planned. 2011 will be the year of the video!
4 for 10… 40% isn’t so great but at least it’ll make a nice base for an upward trend in 2011…